Friday, May 27, 2022

#theVIPexperience Post #176: Prina Patel

 I found out about crossroads through a friend that was already a VIP. They would always talk about how being a VIP has impacted their life and their goals for the future. The program immediately interested me because it aligned perfectly with my goals for my future career. When I applied to this program, I was not sure what to exactly except but as I am finishing up my second rotation, I am glad I applied to the program as I have been able to gain valuable experiences. Before being a VIP I did not know much about behind the scenes of scheduling an appointment, transportation, or how the insurance works. Through this program I have been able to learn so much about how the insurance works and how to find a provider that takes the patients insurance and how to schedule a transportation.  

Through my interactions with patients and doing referrals I have been able to learn and experience about the population that crossroads serves. I have learned so much about the health disparities that are faced by the underprivileged people across the nation. I have also been able to learn to navigate through the medical records system. Through doing referrals I was able to learn how to send a fax a referral along with troubleshooting any issues.  This experience allows me to impact a person’s life whether it be to helping them with scheduling appointment, transportation or helping them find a provider that takes their insurance. It makes me happy to hear the relief in the patient’s voices when I tell them I have scheduled their appointment or transportation. 

I remember being nervous on my first day as a VIP. I was not sure if I will be able to learn to all the information and remember it. Over time, by doing more and more referrals I was able to pick on new skills which made doing the referrals easier. My advice to new VIPs would be to have patience when learning the information and taking things one step at a time along with enjoying the experience! 

No comments:

Post a Comment