Friday, May 24, 2024

#theVIPexperience Post #205: Elizabeth Roebker

 



       "I applied to volunteer at Crossroad Health Clinic under slightly unorthodox circumstances. I had already graduated from the University of Cincinnati with my bachelor’s degrees and wasn't sure if graduates were allowed to join as VIP students. Thus, when I was accepted into the program it seemed like kismet. I would certainly encourage other alumni or older undergraduates to apply to this unique program as it has been such an enlightening and fulfilling experience for me. 

     Many pre-health students seek clinical volunteer hours in order to serve others in a field they are interested in and gain experience for their graduate school applications.  I think it’s probably fair to say that hospital volunteering is the most popular route students take to accomplish this. Personally, I started volunteering at my local hospital in high school. I would never want to discourage students from volunteering in a hospital because I enjoyed that opportunity and gained exposure to the flow of different hospital departments. However, I have felt much more useful volunteering at Crossroad Health Center.

    Additionally, I’ve been able to interact with more patients, more providers, and can accomplish tasks that facilitate healthcare access for people who need support. I always feel welcome and appreciated by staff and students alike at Crossroad Health Center, and it is a privilege to be able to serve my community alongside such passionate people who share my desire to mitigate the negative effects associated with social determinants of health.

     Therefore, I am grateful for the opportunity to be a VIP as it’s a unique volunteer program with an exemplary mission of providing comprehensive and accessible healthcare. Even with ample resources the healthcare system, it is difficult to navigate. Many patients at Crossroad Health Center may lack access to essential resources such as transportation or technology.  Others may not speak English or may not have insurance. By facilitating the scheduling process for referrals, VIP students such as myself are able to lessen the barriers to care faced by patients looking for assistance.

     In addition to the satisfaction I feel when making appointments for patients who may otherwise never follow up on their referral, I have also learned a great deal. Through my time so far at Crossroad Health Center, I’ve uncovered some of the intricacies of this complicated system and I know this knowledge will make me a better provider one day".

No comments:

Post a Comment