Friday, May 24, 2024

#theVIPexperience Post #206: Julia Beltran


    "I applied for the Crossroad VIP program the summer before beginning my sophomore year, and I'm so grateful to have been able to. I found this opportunity through my university's pre-health education center. In the weeks that followed I debated about the experiences I wanted to write about and organized the goals I hoped to achieve as part of the program. Since that time, I feel like I have learned a lot both as an individual, and as a premedical student in a clinical setting.
    Ultimately, I'm pursuing my education to become a physician. It's important for me to gain an understanding of different roles in clinical settings and how they add to a patient's overall healthcare experience. I truly didn't know what to expect when I submitted my application over the summer, but my time at Crossroad has been very positive and eye opening. The patients and staff at Crossroad are always very kind and welcoming, it's been a privilege to be a part of such a great community.
    While working as a VIP, I've become familiar speaking to patients, contacting offices to set up appointments/transportation, and using systems with patient records. It's nice to learn about everything that goes into arranging an appointment between a physician and patient, since it's an area of healthcare not many people get to see. Taking the steps to set up an appointment is equally as important as attending it, and if someone needs help with that it's nice to know that Crossroad has trained us to be able to assist patients in those situations, so they don't have another obstacle to face in maintaining their health. Additionally, this experience has highlighted how common it is for individuals to perceive accessing healthcare as a challenge, but it's fulfilling to know that I can do something to help alleviate some of those challenges".

No comments:

Post a Comment