Monday, October 14, 2024

#theVIPexperience Post #211: MJ Jaboin

 


"Moving into my second rotation at Crossroad has been a very impactful experience. As long as I can remember I have wanted to go into medicine and knew that most of what I wanted to do was to help people in lower income households and neighborhoods. All I would ever think is that I’ll do it when I become a doctor, but how could I start helping now? When I stumbled upon Crossroad, I had no idea the impact it would have on me or me on it. Although a seemingly simple and small job, I’ve been able to help so many people from various backgrounds. Most of the people that come through Crossroad have a hard time prioritizing their health. They can’t or don’t have time to schedule their referrals or a follow up with their doctor. This is when we come in, and it surprised me how thankful people are for something that I think is simply part of my job.

 

I recall a patient whom we had been trying to schedule for months, but had been unable to find a translator, but no one gave up on making sure he got the proper care. When we were finally able to schedule them for their appointment, they were endlessly thankful, and it really shows how small actions can have the biggest impact sometimes. There are days when I come in that I’m tired and don’t feel like making calls all the time, but I remember that this job is bigger than me, and the impact I make on people is well worth it even through the exhaustion.

As I finish my second rotation, and move into my third, I will always be thankful for all that CVIP has taught me. I hope I continue to learn more as I move forward".

No comments:

Post a Comment