Monday, October 14, 2024

theVIPExperience Post #217: Erin Patton

 


"Working with communities that have been historically underserved was always my plan. Since I can remember, my reason for going into healthcare was to increase access to quality care for people who look like me. After researching, I came across Crossroad Health Center. I wanted to gain more experience working with people from underserved communities. Through research and patient care I had some experience; however, I knew Crossroad would give me a unique opportunity to connect with patients and learn another part of the healthcare world.  

After reading the mission statement of Crossroad and the goal of the VIP program, I knew immediately I belonged. When I came across Crossroad initially, the VIP application was closed. I remember checking weekly, patiently waiting for the application to open. Once I found out about the VIP program, I encouraged all my friends interested in healthcare to apply. I found out I got accepted into the program and was overjoyed. 


During my time at Crossroad, I have worked mainly on referrals but have also been given the opportunity to shadow providers. Shadowing providers allowed me to see day-to-day life, solidifying my interest in healthcare.  


Although this is only my second rotation, Crossroad truly feels like home to me. I wish I knew about the program sooner. Crossroad has not only given me the opportunity to live in my purpose but also provide skills that will translate into careers and life. Crossroad has provided many opportunities to build community, connect with people from different backgrounds, face the social determinants of health firsthand, and practice compassion and empathy. I am grateful".


No comments:

Post a Comment