Monday, October 14, 2024

theVIPExperience Post #218: Sean Brennan


 


"I got involved with Crossroad my junior year of college at Miami University. I heard about this opportunity through the premed center on campus and knew I had to take advantage of it. Coming from out of state, I had no idea what Crossroad was or what their work consisted of;  I had zero expectations. The only thing I knew was that I would be helping out the local community. Now, after almost two rotations, I can confidently say that this experience has exceeded any expectations that I may have had. It truly has allowed me to adopt several valuable perspectives. 

I had never had a job where I called anyone, so this was a new experience for me. I have been interested in medicine since the eighth grade, but this was not what I envisioned as medicine. Having said that, this unique opportunity provided me a different lens to what medicine can be. It is not just what you see on TV or just the physician you see for a yearly checkup – there are so many different people working behind the scenes that make everything run smoothly. This position has shown me what that looks like first-hand. We may never get all the praise, but, as VIPs, we are important and make a difference. 


Coming into Crossroad each week, it is uncommon for nurses, doctors, and medical assistants to not acknowledge you – it is an extremely welcoming and fun working environment. I believe that this is incredible and reflects on our patients as well. Hearing the gratitude in patients’ voices when extending our assistance is unmatched. I know that this impact we have on patients is worth the two hour round trip each week".  


No comments:

Post a Comment