Monday, October 14, 2024

theVIPExperience Post #218: Brennan Meier

 "Being born and raised in the west side of Cincinnati, I grew up being taught to have immense pride in the people and tradition around me. I never quite knew how important that was to me until later in life. 

Growing up, I was privileged and blessed enough to never have to worry about my health or where my next meal came from, later, finding out this was not the case for everyone. Volunteering at a homeless outreach center in high school opened my view of the world and the disparities within it. I quickly learned working with individuals that are underserved, specifically the homeless, was something that would be in my life forever. I learned the one thing you can give people that you cannot physically hand them is human dignity and respect. 

 

Going to UC with the goal to go into medicine, I knew working with people in communities that are underserved was something that I needed to get back into from high school. Crossroad was always on my horizon, and when I finally was able to take part the summer of my 2nd year at UC, it was everything I expected and more!

 

Previously having experience working with underserved populations and starting to get involved and work in healthcare, crossroads was the best mesh of my two passions. In my time as a VIP, I have started to really see how difficult and confusing it is for people to get the care that they deserve. The process of receiving healthcare can be convoluted and hard to navigate, making equitable access to care for everyone extremely difficult. I take great joy in trying to mitigate this experience for our patients. Hearing the deep gratitude and sigh of relief when patients finally get their appointments scheduled is something that will never get old. My time as a VIP has confirmed even more to me that the path I am in healthcare is right for me. I take the utmost pride in taking care of people and providing equitable healthcare in the communities I grew up in and around". 

No comments:

Post a Comment